This second posf of 5 Wednesdays in October post chain is a compilation of my 5 unforgettable moments. Teppy from The Freaky Teppy asked my 5 memorable memories (funny, daring, unforgettable) and Allane from Packing my suitcase wanted me to share one or two funny stories about me. So I added these two inquiries together in one post.
Don’t try this at home but you may try it at school
I must have been 5 years old when my parents took me and my sisters to a circus for the first time. I was amazed by the acrobatics troupe during the show. So amazed that the following day I stood in bridge position (Kayang in Bahasa Indonesia) on a swing at school. I asked my friends to push the swing as hard and high as they could. They obliged and did so. Of course I fell, hard. My forehead was severely bruised and I got three bumps on my forehead. Now thinking about this, I was lucky my neck was not broken. This was not the first and the last accident though. I was a naughty, lean, dare-devil tomboy back then who often miscalculated how my body elasticity reacted. A bunch of scars on my arms and legs remind me of this wild time. And eh, sorry mum for the worries.
Pic is courtesy of Beijing show booking.
The show must go on
I love to dance and I had performed often untill I stopped in 2006. There are silly, scary and funny dancing experiences I have. I want to share one of them. When I was 5 years old I had this dance examination for Balinese dance. All pupils from that Balinese dance school, performed on stage in front of families and friends and of course in front of the dance teachers and dance commission. I was standing behind the curtain when I heard my dance teacher shouting ‘Girls, get ready in 2 minutes’. Shortly after I heard the music and I jumped behind the lines and went to stage. After the first turn, my dance teacher tried to attract my attention ‘Yoyen, come back. You are still wearing your flip – flops’. I went aside, got my flip – flops off and continued dancing. That night I passed the exam :-). Note: Indonesian traditional dancers dance bare foot.
Pic is courtesy of Invateam.
In 1991 I went on a girls trip from Jakarta to Bali by bus. The bus crossed the Java strait from Banyuwangi (Java) to Gilimanuk (Bali) by ferry in the afternoon. The tides were high, we were standing at the deck, chatting with a bunch of nice guys. All of the sudden I felt so sick and threw up. This was so embarrassing but the boys took really good care of me while my friend went to the bus to get a clean shirt for me. That was the day I discovered I had sea sickness.
I met my husband in Bali, being proposed there and spent the honeymoon there. On the first day of our honeymoon end of August 1995 we were at the Kuta Beach. I went swimming alone as my new husband was reading a book at the beach. I was/am a good swimmer. Without hesitation I took the plunge and swam away. After what it felt like 5 minutes, I heard a long whistle and men’s voice. “Miss, swim calmly back to shore and let the tides take you”.
In a second I was wondering, did they shout at me? Then I looked around and I realized, they were shouting at me. Apparently I was driven quite far from the beach. After that I got panicked a bit but I kept telling myself keep calm and do as the boys from the beach watch said. I swam back, while my arms and legs felt sore and heavy. Suddenly I was hit hardly by a high wave. I was drowning.
Being sucked by the current I thought I needed to feel the sea bottom, where I could bounce back and reached the beach safely. So I did. Extremely exhausted I got off the sea, my husband welcomed me and we thanked the beach watch. The boys complimented me for staying so calmly. However not quite long after, I shocked, my body was shaking hard and a minute later I was crying. It was so stupid of me, I didn’t see two red flags on the side. From that time I have paid attention well if I swim in open water.
If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen
This is a silly accident. It happened last year when I was making pizza. I made the pizza dough according to an original Italian recipe. The recipe instructed Bake the pizza in a hot oven 250 degree Celsius for 8 minutes.
I wanted to have crispy and crusty pizza so I set my oven temperature to 300 degree Cel. I shortened the baking time. After 6 minutes, I opened the oven door and took the golden brown pizza out. A second after I opened the oven door I smelled burned hair. It turned out the lashes of both my eyes were burnt by the heat!
I immediately ran to a mirror to check how bad it was. It was bad but I laughed about it. I knew it was my fault and the lashes would grow again anyway. Strangely, I felt awkward not having eye lashes for 2 weeks. In the third week they started to grow. Now I know how to bake homemade pizza safely.
That was it folks, my 5 unforgettable moments for now. No doubt some new ones will come. I actually don’t know if I look forward to it 🙂